Sunday, July 25, 2010

Because I'm bored, and for once have some extra time on my hands, I suppose I could do some leisurely blogging.

When I was younger, I never imagined that I would ever want kids. The mere thought of being a mother or even close to one (say, a motherly figure) frightened me, limited me, weighed me down. But lately, for some strange reason, I've begun to understand the appeal of motherhood. Perhaps it's only my biological clock ticking and I'm finally noticing that my time here isn't eternal, or perhaps I'm just now figuring this part of myself out.

Every day, while at work, I see tons of children. Older children, younger children, but that's not really relevant. I think about how each of these children is at their own unique stage of life. I think about what they might have been like as an infant, and what has made them the way they are now. Where did they get that habit from? Childhood development fascinates me, and suddenly, I can't wait to have a child of my own. Watch that child grow, from something that doesn't even know it exists to a walking, talking individual. Unfolding its own little (or infinite?) universe.

2 comments:

  1. you are such a beautiful writer/thinker. I love your thoughts.

    Reminds me of "Live High" by JMraz -- "see that girl / as her own new world / though her home is on the surface, she is still a universe" (or something to that effect)

    ReplyDelete