Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sometimes, it takes an awful person or situation to remind us of the important things. Although these occurrences can be awkward, nearing painful, it's good that they happen. They keep our character in check. Tonight, I've been reminded to avoid being bitter, demeaning, and selfish. I've been reminded that there's a time and a place to say certain things; some of our thoughts can be extremely insulting once they're out in the open. I've been reminded to give everything a chance, and to stay adventurous and curious.

With many situations like this one, good things come, too. A company I'm interested in working with actually corresponded with me (via written note)! At the last ASCE meeting, representatives from this company presented, and after their presentation I spoke with one of them. About the future, her profession, my interests in that company. She told me to email her my resume, so I did. I didn't expect anything, but I think I might have gained a friend out of it all. Also, she passed my resume on, and the woman who received it sent me a letter and more information about the company, warmly letting me know that there were no current opportunities, but that I'm welcome to stay in contact and that she'll let me know if anything changes. Sure, it's not an interview; it's not a job offer. But it's more than any company has ever done for me. She treated me like a human being. And now I want to work for this company all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment