Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The next time you consider insulting someone because they like such-and-such music, remember this: music has the power to take us back to where ever we were when we first heard that song, or that band, or that album. It is full of meaning on its own already, but connects so well with memories and old frames of thinking. Without "Christie Road," or Insomniac, or Nimrod, my memories of Melanie would be slipping away far more quickly than they already are. And no matter what, even if I forget her face and her voice and most things about her, the second I hear "The Grouch" or "Platypus," I remember her laugh. Her smile. The feeling of acceptance.

Just remember, even the insults you think are lighthearted can sting. Try to be mindful of that, and I will, too.

1 comment:

  1. YES. THANK YOU.

    I try very hard not to insult music of any sort because of this. It's an intensely personal feeling, to be attached to an artist. For me, I don't even care what artist it is. I don't like Justin Bieber's stuff too much, but I know it's super important to some people, and I can respect that.

    It's so important. It's always important.

    ReplyDelete