Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Some people are so sweetly observant, and I just don't know how they do it. Things ranging from remembering everyone's birthdays, to noticing that someone is feeling down and brightening their day in some way. One of the guys in a chapter I'm involved in sympathized with me about a Facebook status I posted yesterday. In certain situations, that could seem creepy, but it was very nice and thoughtful.

I wish I could be friendly like that, while remaining genuine. I suppose I often get too caught up in my life and my own thoughts to consider those around me. I'm by no means a grouch (at least, I don't think I am...), but I need to remind myself to go out of my way to spread happiness. I read a quote by Siddharta Gautama earlier today, and it's frighteningly relevant:

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

1 comment:

  1. I need to remember this too. Thankfully, there are people like you who remind me the world is a lot brighter than I like to think it is!

    Besides, I made my New Year's Resolution to Be Love and to spread happiness and I have completely failed on that count in the past two, three months. Time to rethink this and to move forward with happiness, yes?

    ReplyDelete